Re: wxWidgets alert at start

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Jyrki Wahlstedt <jwa(at)wahlstedt(dot)fi>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wxWidgets alert at start
Date: 2007-08-09 23:55:43
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Jyrki Wahlstedt wrote:

> On 4.8.2007, at 13.29, Dave Page wrote:
>
>> Jyrki Wahlstedt wrote:
>>> On 3.8.2007, at 0.15, Jyrki Wahlstedt wrote:
> <snip>
>>> Here's what I can do: in building the bundle I can replace the helper
>>> apps (pg_dump, pg_dumpall, pg_restore) with symbolic links to the
>>> respective apps in the postgresql82 port, as those apps are sure to
>>> exist due to the dependency setting. I made that replacement
>>> manually, and now pgAdmin starts ok. I don't like to mess with the
>>> internals of an app, but I don't like crashing either:-) How does
>>> that sound? It is relatively easy to write, and easy to remove, if
>>> and when a solution is found to the problem.
>>
>> Well that will work (and does make it sound like something is
>> foobarred when we create the bundle), but what exactly are you trying
>> to achieve?
>
> I'm maintaining pgAdmin package in MacPorts, packaging system for OS X
> modeled initially after FreeBSD ports collection. Hence I'd like to be
> able to build the app from sources, and if there are problems in that, I
> try to get them solved. The build process should co-operate with the
> dependencies, built similarly. The first version in MacPorts (at the
> time DarwinPorts) was 1.4, all versions so far have been without problems.

In that case (Disclaimer: I don't know about MacPorts - I just assume that
it works kind of like fink), you might be interested in skipping
complete-bundle.sh completly for your build. The current build infrastructure
for pgadmin on OSX tries to create a relocateable bundle, because this is
how most OSX sofware is distributed. But I think that doesn't fit very well
with the idea of a package manager (if indeed MacPorts is something like that).

For example, you'd needlessly copy the full wx libs into the bundle - which
do don't need to do, if you can just mark pgadmin as depending on
wx (and the wx libs are at a known place).

Sadly, you can'd just ignore that whole bundle issue completly - the window
management on OSX for non-bundle apps is very strange (You get a lot of
funny effects, like a window that you can see, but that never gets the focus,
no matter how hard you try to click it). But you really only need the pgAdmin
binary, the Info.plist file, and the PkgInfo file for OSX to be happy. The
other libs (wx, libxslt maybe, and libpq) could reside wherever MacPorts
wants them to.

greetings, Florian Pflug