Re: BUG #3512: buggy install + no manual support

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Jim Oak <jimbosoak(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3512: buggy install + no manual support
Date: 2007-08-08 20:58:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

(please don't drop the list CC)

Jim Oak wrote:
> --- Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>
>> What error message did you get exactly?
>
> "could not connect to database postgres: server closed
> the connection unexpectedly This probably means the
> server terminated abnormally before or while
> processing the request."

This should not be directly related to the port, it's something else
that's broken. You need to check the server logs (eventlog + pg_log
directory).

> but what's more important is in my last add ...
> postgres reads out registry during new install on
> previously installed machine ... could you simply add
> what it should be deleted from the registry during the
> uninstall ... and it seems that i should have whole
> new clean win install just to try it once more ...
> PRETTY COMPLICATED don't you think so ... I'd be much
> appreciated to tell me how to reset pass cause it
> simply won't catch any new one (db server)

Is this the database password or the service user password?

If it's the db password, change your pg_hba config to trust, log in,
change the password, and then change pg_hba back to md5. If you search
the archives, there should be detailed instructions.

If it's the service password, use the standard user management snapin in
windows.

//Magnus