Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
Subject: Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres
Date: 2007-08-08 16:17:35
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> It's basically PostgreSQL and regular add-on components installed in an
>>> unusual way.
>> Unusual?
>
> It is certainly unusual to not use a standard package format
> (rpm,deb,pkg).

I must admit I kinda hat my Win32 hat on when I read that, and haven't
really looked at the Linux installer in detail.

Outside of the open source world it is far more normal to have
distro-independent installers - and this is specifically what we wanted
because we want to get PostgreSQL on as many machines as possible.

> Although I have to double check if PeterE is actually
> correct on his linux filesystem standard comment because as I recall non
> standard packages are supposed to go into /opt .

That was my recollection as well. I guess it is a little odd to have the
sub components in the PostgreSQL installation root, but we do similarly
wierd things in pginstaller to make everything work as it should without
having lots of copies of libpq and friends.

The important thing to note is that it is entirely self contained, won't
futz up your filesystem with fluff, and can be uninstalled.

/D