Re: Linux distro

From: charlie derr <cderr(at)simons-rock(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux distro
Date: 2007-08-01 15:37:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> I'm about to install a new Linux server, and I've followed this thread
> with interest, being a tinkerer rather than any sort of expert.
>
> I'm going to try out Debian, which I haven't used before - the server
> it's replacing is running an old RedHat - and would be interested in
> people's comments.
>
> This machine will be running PostgreSQL and nothing else, and I'll
> probably compile Postgres from source.
>
> Ray.

Hi Ray,
Good luck with this endeavor. I would urge you to consider using the debian-packaged version of PostgreSQL unless you have a
good reason not to. I would include the following as legitimate reasons to want to build from source:

1. You're interested in learning about stuff and the machine isn't slated to be "in production"

2. You need features from a newer version than is available in Debian.

3. You need to build in functionality that is not available in the standard Debian package.

If you do build from source it's often possible to use the debian tools (dpkg-buildpackage) to assist you in making your own .deb
files (which may make long-term maintenance of the server/software easier than if you choose to take a generic PostgreSQL tarball
and do ./configure; make; make install).

be well,
~c