Re: psql 8.2 client vs pg 8.1 server problem

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Alban Hertroys <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql 8.2 client vs pg 8.1 server problem
Date: 2007-07-31 12:32:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Alban Hertroys wrote:
> We have psql 8.2 clients on our workstations, while we still have pg 8.1
> on our development and production servers. This causes problems like the
> following:
>
> database> \d table
> ERROR: column i.indisvalid does not exist
> database>
>
> We can log into the server and use the local client of course, but this
> problem is causing some confusion among our new employees and doesn't
> exactly inspire them with the reliability we know PostgreSQL has...
>
> Is there a better workaround, or may this be a bug even?

Install the 8.1 version of psql on your workstations (and symlink it to
psql81 or something if necessary). psql doesn't make any promises about
backward compatibility - for that, you'll need to use something like
pgAdmin (even that may need to be pointed at the older versions of
pg_dump etc if you're going to run backups from the workstations).

Regards, Dave.