Re: User concurrency thresholding: where do I look?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: User concurrency thresholding: where do I look?
Date: 2007-07-19 15:44:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>

> 650 105.71 0.02
> 700 106.95 0.02
> 750 107.69 0.02
> 800 106.78 0.02
> 850 108.59 0.02
> 900 106.03 0.02
> 950 106.13 0.02
> 1000 64.58 0.15
> 1050 52.32 0.23
> 1100 49.79 0.25
>
> Tinkering with shared_buffers has had no effect on this threholding (the above
> was with 3gb to 6gb of shared_buffers). Any ideas on where we should look
> for the source of the bottleneck?

I have seen this as well. I always knocked it up to PG having to
managing so many connections but there are some interesting evidences to
review.

The amount of memory "each" connection takes up. Consider 4-11 meg per
connection depending on various things like number of prepared queries.

Number of CPUs. Obviously 500 connections over 4 CPUS isn't the same as
500 connections over 8 CPUS.

That number of connections generally means a higher velocity, a higher
velocity means more checkpoint segments. Wrong settings with your
checkpoint segments, bgwriter and checkpoint will cause you to start
falling down.

I would also note that our experience is that PG falls down a little
higher, more toward 2500 connections last time I checked, but this was
likely on different hardware.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/