Re: createing indexes on large tables and int8

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Janning Vygen <vygen(at)planwerk6(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: createing indexes on large tables and int8
Date: 2007-07-16 20:30:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Janning Vygen <vygen(at)planwerk6(dot)de> writes:
>> After this i create the index and it took 10 hours just for one index (primary
>> key). I have 100.000.000 rows with one PK (int8), two integer data values,
>> and two FK (int8)
>
> What PG version is this? We did a fair amount of work on sort speed
> for 8.2.

yeah - back when i tested that during the 8.2 development cycle I got a
5-6x speedup with the external sort improvements.
ie sorting 1.8B rows (integer) went down from over 12h to about 2h10min
- but 10h sounds like a lot for "only" 100M rows - I wonder what kind of
hardware that is and how much concurrent activity is going on ...

Stefan