bit string functions

From: TJ O'Donnell <tjo(at)gnova(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: bit string functions
Date: 2007-07-16 16:40:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have been working extensively with the bit string data type.
I have a number of useful c-language functions to
set/clear a bit, count number of bits set, inquire if
a bit is set/clear, etc.
I don't see functions like these as part of any SQL standard,
(although I think they ought to be).

I would like to make these a part of postgresql for others to use.
Is it more appropriate for these to be in contrib code
or part of the postgresql proper?
How can I contribute these?

TJ
--