Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL related pressrelease

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy List <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL related pressrelease
Date: 2007-07-13 15:05:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 20:05 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> A little truth in advertising would be nice here.

> Please can you explain
>
> - why you claim to be "The" PostgreSQL Company, when there are many such
> companies around the world. If you don't wish to mislead anyone, then
> this clearly should be "A PostgreSQL Company: ....".

Yes I have heard this argument. I still consider us "The PostgreSQL
Company".

> - how it is that you say "We are the only dedicated PostgreSQL company,
> focusing all of our efforts on the promotion and proliferation of pure
> PostgreSQL",

Where did you get that quote, because I don't see it anywhere. We do
say, "Command Prompt, Inc. is the oldest and only dedicated PostgreSQL
support provider in North America. Since 1997, we have been developing,
supporting, deploying and advocating the use of the “World's Most
Advanced Open Source Database”."

Which has been the source of some confusion in the past because of
consultants such as David Fetter and Elein but overall I believe it is
accurate.

> when on the very same page you offer for sale a product
> which is clearly not part of pure PostgreSQL and you have stated clearly
> that you have chosen not to contribute to the PostgreSQL project.
> http://www.commandprompt.com/products/

That is true. We have PostgreSQL replicator which "is" pure postgresql,
with added replication bits. It is also closed source and we don't hide
that fact in any way.

> I think people that live in glass houses should not throw stones.

I would agree but of course what you say here is you trying to throw
stones at us for bringing up an issue with EDB.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/