Re: subquery with more than one column

From: Jon Sime <jsime(at)mediamatters(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Raimon Fernandez <coder(at)montx(dot)com>
Subject: Re: subquery with more than one column
Date: 2007-07-05 21:27:48
Lists: pgsql-novice

Raimon Fernandez wrote:
> [..moved top-post..]
> On 05/07/2007, at 21:30, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Raimon Fernandez <coder(at)montx(dot)com> writes:
>>> It's not possible to return in a subquery more than one column ?
>>
>> Try it like this:
>>
>> SELECT id_intern, (SELECT ROW(referencia, descripcio) FROM articles
>> WHERE...
>>
>> regards, tom lane
>>
> but I want as a separate columns, like a normal SELECT ...
>

> this is what I get:
>
> +---------------+
> | row |
> +---------------+
> | (1,"ref rai") |
> | (1,ref) |
> +---------------+
>

> thanks,
>

> raimon

Is there something about the nature of the data which prevents you from
using a JOIN between these two tables?

select pb.id_intern, a.referencia, a.descripcio
from product_blister pb
join articles a on (a.id_intern = pb.id_product_added)
where pb.id_product_source = '8';

(Or using a LEFT JOIN if not every record in product_blister is required
to have a corresponding record in articles, and you want those records
in product_blister to still be returned.)

My apologies if my assumption is incorrect.

-Jon

--
Senior Systems Developer
Media Matters for America