opening utf8 file in pgadmin

From: Claudia Kosny <ckosny(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: opening utf8 file in pgadmin
Date: 2007-07-04 12:05:59
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi there

I have a file with sql insert commands which is utf8 encoded.
If I copy the contents of the folder into the SQL-window of pgadmin,
everything is fine. But if I use the file>open command to open this
file the utf8 characters are incorrectly encoded
For instance the german umlaut ü (ue) is transformed to ü.

The database is utf8 encoded.
I use pgadmin 1.6.3, postgres 8.2 on Windows XP.

In the preferences I have enabled the option 'read and write unicode
utf8 files'.

Is there a setting that I am missing?

Thanks for any tips

Claudia