Re: Still recommending daily vacuum...

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)tocr(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Still recommending daily vacuum...
Date: 2007-07-04 02:51:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> FWIW, I normally go with the 8.2 defaults, though I could see dropping
>> vacuum_scale_factor down to 0.1 or 0.15. I also think the thresholds
>> could be decreased further, maybe divide by 10.
>
> How about pushing thresholds all the way down to 0?

As long as it handles small (or zero row) tables ok then yes. The
base_threshold in the originial contrib autovacuum was just an easy way
to not vacuum really small tables too often. If a table has only 10
rows, it's going to get vacuumed every time one row is updated. I guess
that's not a big problem with a table that small but still seems excessive.

If you think this isn't a problem with the current autovacuum, then sure
turn it down to zero, and perhaps we can even get rid of it altogether
in another release or two.