Re: performance problems inserting random vals in index

From: Leonardo F <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: performance problems inserting random vals in index
Date: 2010-04-20 06:46:58
Lists: pgsql-general

> Does it help to reindex the index at that point?

Didn't try; but I guess a reindex of such a big table
would block inserts for a long time... but I'll try

> Bad. The partitioning code isn't designed to scale
> beyond a few dozen partitions.

What kind of problems am I going to experience?
It's just a N times access to the index or something
worse? It's the fact that it will take a linear amount of
time to "pick" the right partitions?