Re: [HACKERS] Last call?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Frank Ridderbusch <ridderbusch(dot)pad(at)sni(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Last call?
Date: 1998-10-29 15:41:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Frank Ridderbusch <ridderbusch(dot)pad(at)sni(dot)de> writes:
> You might be tempted to run configure with the additional argument
> --with-CC='cc -W0' to activate the native C-compiler. However, when I
> did this, compilation stopped with this error message.

> cc -W0 -I../../../include -I../../../backend -I/home/tools/include
> -I../.. -c istrat.c -o istrat.o
> istrat.c 496: [error]: 2324 Undefined: 'F_OIDEQ'
> 2086 c1: errors: 1, warnings: 15

I believe that is the first symptom you'd see when configure chooses
a cpp-from-stdin technique that doesn't actually work. We went around
on that a couple of times in the past three or four days, and eventually
changed the shell scripts so that they don't need cpp from stdin.

So, with the current sources (or BETA4 when it's out) it might work to
specify --with-CC; would you try it and let us know?

This cpp mistake may also be the root of the apparent need to have gcc
installed --- please check and see if that's still true.

> After that the following changes are necessary (the changes are
> explicitly listed, since the changes might not be compatible with
> other SVR4 platforms, which use the same files):

I think all of these config changes could be handled with a special
Makefile.port for Siemens ... is that worth adding?

> o configure does not correctly reqognize the number of arguments
> for gettimeofday. Therefore 'undef' HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY_2_ARGS.

This should be fixed; can you look into it and see why configure
is getting the wrong answer? Look at configure.in --- there is a
small test program that the script tries to compile, and if there
is no compile error then it assumes gettimeofday has two args.
A first guess is that gettimeofday is not declared in sys/time.h
on your machine. If we add wherever it is declared then perhaps
the test will work.

> o In src/backend/port/Makefile remove the 'strcasecmp.o'.

Likewise, this should be fixable by improving configure's test
to see whether the system has strcasecmp.