Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Arrange for quote_identifier() and pg_dump to not quote keywords

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Arrange for quote_identifier() and pg_dump to not quote keywords
Date: 2007-06-26 14:45:05
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Gregory Stark wrote:
> I'm thinking it may make sense to lie about all of these in quote_identifier
> so that someone who upgrades from 8.2 to 8.3 can then upgrade to 8.4. If we
> add reserved words in one step then there's no way to upgrade except to rename
> things before dumping. Any comments?

I'm confused. Won't pg_dump quote the keywords it knows its postgres
version will need quoted? We can't expect it to have knowledge of future
requirements for quoting, unless someone really does invent time travel
(in which case someone could just go to the future and bring back
version 107.6 and save us all the trouble).

cheers

andrew