Re: SQL Macros in QueryTool.

From: Krzysztof Śmigrodzki <ksmigrod(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL Macros in QueryTool.
Date: 2007-06-26 13:51:18
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

> <snip>That all sounds pretty much as I imagined from Jan's original
> suggestion.

Easier than I initially thought.
The code is done. Works for me (tm). Testing in progress.

>> Then I'll create configuration dialog. I've got some doubts how to
>> implement so expect question on the list.
>
> Please feel free - we'll try to help as much as we can.

Look'n'feel question. How should it look like?
List with three column:
- predefined names of keys on the left,
- title field in middle
- longer query input field on the right.
(Above version would be similar to MS SQL Query Analyzer).

Or maybe something more complicated?
Vertical list (key, title) on the left, with arrow button to move
position up and down. On the right two single line input fields (key,
title) and multi-line text input for query?

Any idea how to create the following functionality in wx:
- first, one presses button ("choose shortcut")
- then one inputs key combination
- after key-up, key combination description (ex. "Ctrl-F1") is written
into text field.

> Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. As someone who admin'ed quite a few
> databases at once in a previous life, it seems to me that per database
> or even per server macros could be quite confusing. I wonder if we could
> have macro 'sets' that weren't necessarily tied to a specific database
> or server, but could be selected independently.

I've got different perspective:
different databases, different queries to achieve the same result.

> Oh, and just so you are aware - we've gone into feature freeze now for
> the upcoming release, so whilst you're free to develop (and we'll be
> happy to help you), no patches will be committed to SVN until after
> we've branched 1.8.

So when will you branch?

Regards, Krzysiek.