Re: tsearch in core patch

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tsearch in core patch
Date: 2007-06-23 16:04:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> What I was really suggesting was having a table mapping locale names
> into "tsearch languages". Then the configuration could be made based on
> the language, not on the locale name. So the stopword list is for
> "russian", regardless of whether the locale is Russian_Russia or ru_RU.

Agreed. But I'm afraid we couldn't map all of the locale names in a
right way. Man, it's a large list. ;)

> Is this only for the stopword list, or does it also affect selecting a
> stemmer?

Both.

> Note: it's possible that the stopword list is different for brazilian
> portuguese than portuguese portuguese, which is why I was suggesting
> using a language "portuguese_brazil" and not just "postuguese". Whereas
> you need a single stopword list for all the countries speaking spanish,
> which is why you need only one language called spanish.

Indeed it's possible for portuguese, because we have some words that are
written in different ways, e.g.,
pt_BR pt_PT english
Mônica Mónica Monica
ação acção action
Irã Irão Iran
.
.
.

Will it be possible to disable stemming or stopwords removal? I'm asking
this 'cause sometimes stemming doesn't lead to good results and/or
stopwords are relevant. Maybe it could be an GUC variables
('enable_stemming' and 'enable_stopwords').

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
http://www.timbira.com/