Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies
Date: 2007-06-21 15:12:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

Greg Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> I don't think the "mostly reads / mostly writes" question covers
>> anything,
>> nor is it likely to produce accurate answers. Instead, we need to
>> ask the
>> users to characterize what type of application they are running:
>> T1) Please characterize the general type of workload you will be
>> running on
>> this database. Choose one of the following four...
>
> We've hashed through this area before, but for Lance's benefit I'll
> reiterate my dissenting position on this subject. If you're building
> a "tool for dummies", my opinion is that you shouldn't ask any of this
> information. I think there's an enormous benefit to providing
> something that takes basic sizing information and gives conservative
> guidelines based on that--as you say, "safe, middle-of-the-road
> values"--that are still way, way more useful than the default values.
> The risk in trying to make a complicated tool that satisfies all the
> users Josh is aiming his more sophisticated effort at is that you'll
> lose the newbies.
Generally I agree, however, how about a first switch, for beginner /
intermediate / advanced.

The choice you make determines how much detail we ask you about your
setup. Beginners get two or three simple questions, intermediate a
handful, and advanced gets grilled on everything. Then, just write the
beginner and maybe intermediate to begin with and ghost out the advanced
until it's ready.