Re: How to prevent modifications in a tree of rows, based on a condition?

From: Kenneth Downs <ken(at)secdat(dot)com>
To: Philippe Lang <philippe(dot)lang(at)attiksystem(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to prevent modifications in a tree of rows, based on a condition?
Date: 2007-06-19 12:29:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Philippe Lang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a database which can be simplified in the following way, with
> three tables:
>
> An "order" has multiple "order lines", and an "order line" has multiple
> "line steps".
>
> I'd like to prevent any kind of modification (insert, update, delete) in
> a order (and its lines, and steps) if all the steps in the lines of the
> order are "checked". If that condition is not true, a modification is
> accepted.

We do this with BEFORE triggers. If the "flag_closed" column = 'Y', the
modification is prevented.

In the future we are also going to put in an exception for some
privileged group, such as the "purge" group perhaps, that will allow
that group to still make deletes, but only deletes.

Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.
www.secdat.com www.andromeda-project.org
631-689-7200 Fax: 631-689-0527