Re: memory issues when running with mod_perl

From: "Fred Tyler" <fredty8(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Andreas Rieke" <andreas(dot)rieke(at)isl(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, kleptog(at)svana(dot)org, postgres(at)2xlp(dot)com
Subject: Re: memory issues when running with mod_perl
Date: 2006-10-01 16:24:08
Lists: pgsql-general

> OK, that kills the theory that the leak is triggered by subprocess exit.
> Another thing that would be worth trying is to just stop and start the
> postmaster a large number of times, to see if the leak occurs at
> postmaster exit.

It is not from the exit. I see the exact same problem and I never
restart postgres and it never crashes. It runs constanty and with no
crashes for 20-30 days until the box is out of memory and I have to
reboot.

> > R2: After having a look at the linux kernel mailing list, it seems that
> > this problem is not yet known there.

It is possible that it has already been fixed. I am seeing this memory
leak quite clearly on 2.6.12.6, but there's no evidence of it at all
on 2.6.16.27. The changelogs between those two versions show a lot of
bugfixes for memory leaks.

Also, that message from Will Glenn references a discussion where
someone else running 2.6.12 was having a memory leak issue.