Re: New dev build for Windows

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New dev build for Windows
Date: 2007-06-13 07:33:21
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> Hi Dave!
>
> I am on to it. :)
>
> I was instructed to uninstall the previous snapshot prior to installing
> this one. Other than that installation went off without a hitch.

Err, yeah - should have mentioned that - sorry. With real releases we
ship an upgrade.bat file as well of course.

> A quick run over the issues I have reported recently:
>
> As you requested it, I've had a look on the Help options. PostgreSQL,
> EnterpriseDB and Slony Help open help for the according recent versions
> as a new tabs in my Firefox just fine. The other options on the Help
> menu work, too. I don't use local help files, they tend to be outdated.
> The "FAQ" page seems a bit outdated, too:
> "Later versions of pgAdmin III (1.0.1 and up) will use ..."
> That's almost news from a previous millennium. :p

We don't get many faqs these days :-O !! Can someone please look over
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/faq/ and suggest any appropriate changes?

> Help on File->Options->General is outdated. Screen shots and text refer
> to a previous version. Some settings are gone, others have been added.

It has been updated - I think I just forgot to regenerate the CHM file.

> Some of the chapters in the pgAdmin help, like "bug report", display
> pages from the web inside the help tool. I wonder what rendering engine
> is used for that. Probably IE? It doesn't tell. My policy is to avoid IE
> where possible. (One can hardly get rid of it on Windows but the switch
> to Linux takes time ..) Wouldn't it be ironic if a fine piece of free
> software was to force the IE upon me once again? Generally, I prefer web
> pages to be displayed in the browser - like Help ->FAQ does. That's more
> of an opinion than a bug report, though.

On windows, if it's using a CHM help file (which it will be by default
for the pgAdmin help), it will use the Microsoft HTML Help viewer, which
will use IE. Can't do much about that, except to force it to use the
wxWidgets HTML Help viewer instead as we do on other platforms, but it's
not nearly as good.

Thanks, Dave