Re: High-availability

From: Madison Kelly <linux(at)alteeve(dot)com>
To: Lew <lew(at)nospam(dot)lewscanon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High-availability
Date: 2007-06-04 00:06:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Lew wrote:
> Madison Kelly wrote:
>> Being a quite small company, proprietary hardware and fancy software
>> licenses are not possible (ie: 'use oracle' won't help).
>
> How much data do you put in the DB? Oracle has a free version, but it
> has size limits.
>
> (Ducking the slings and arrows of outraged PG fans: I prefer Postgre, I
> really do.)

Hrm, it's hard to say as we're (hoping!) to grow. At the moment, a
few hundred megs. If the company gets off the ground, possibly much
more. also, we've got a few (dozen or so) side projects that each have
their own DBs.

I think the risk of running into a barrier like a size limit would be
too much. Even if we get off the ground, the storage needs of the DB
will outgrow our revenue. I'd hate to be in a position where I am
dependent on a (potentially) very expensive invoice while we are still
running on a shoe-string.

Thanks for the suggestion though! I will poke at the free/trial
version and, if I am unable to load-balance pgSQL and we run into
performance problems, I will have a better idea of what options I have
(ie: bigger iron vs. an oracle license).

Thanks!

Madi