Re: Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner
Date: 2017-03-11 02:10:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:

> I have been pounding it a bit, and every so often the test_decoding
> tests fail in mysterious ways, but otherwise it seems to work fine. I'm
> curious what you are seeing.

For me, it's quite unreliable at make parallelism above -j2 or so.

I believe the core problem is that contrib/test_decoding's regresscheck
and isolationcheck targets each want to use ./tmp_check as their
--temp-instance. make has no reason to believe it shouldn't run those
two sub-jobs in parallel, but when it does, we get two postmasters trying
to share the same directory. This looks reasonably straightforward to
solve, but I'm not entirely familiar with the code here, and am not
sure what is the least ugly way to fix it.