Re: Nightly builds

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Davidson, Robert" <robdavid(at)amazon(dot)com>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nightly builds
Date: 2006-03-24 15:12:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Davidson, Robert wrote:
>> If there were a place to download patches, this would allow moderately adventurous Windows users to roll their own and avoid the overhead of nightly Windows builds.

> ... you shouldn't need to apply patches directly, unless you are
> testing to assist the patch author.

In any case, patches that are done but not yet applied would be
available from the pgsql-patches archives. Assuming you've got a copy
of "patch" or equivalent, you could cherry-pick unapplied stuff from
there.

This is all old hat to longtime Unix users, but I think it's a vanishing
skill among newer ones because of the prevalence of package-based
distributions. And of course Windows and Mac users are completely
unaccustomed to the idea of rolling their own builds. Documentation
wouldn't be a bad idea.