Re: Attempt to re-archive existing WAL logs afterrestoringfrom backup

From: Jon Colverson <pgsql(at)vcxz(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Attempt to re-archive existing WAL logs afterrestoringfrom backup
Date: 2007-06-02 00:07:44
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> I've spent some time re-examining the code and I can't see a route for
> the discussed problem to occur. All the main code paths do not exhibit
> this problem in 8.2, so I'm not sure where to go from here.
>
> If you can help further, please give me a shout.

Thanks a lot for looking into this.

I've attached a self-contained minimal shell script which sets up a
cluster and demonstrates the problem. I hope that will provide an
unambiguous description. I'm running it on Ubuntu 7.04 (i386) and the
script includes all the commands to build PostgreSQL from scratch, but
obviously you can snip that stuff out and change the paths to suit your
environment.

The script ends with the server log showing the archiver attempting to
re-archive the last log that was restored in the recovery procedure.

Thanks again.

--
Jon

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgsql-duplicate-xlog-demo.sh text/plain 2.5 KB