Re: pg_dump fails to include sequences, leads to restore fail in any version

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jeffrey Baker" <jwbaker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump fails to include sequences, leads to restore fail in any version
Date: 2008-06-17 17:59:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Jeffrey Baker" <jwbaker(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> It is impossible to dump (with pg_dump -Ocx) and restore (with psql) a
> database which contains sequences in any of 8.1, 8.2, or 8.3:

I should think we would have heard about it before now if such a
sweeping claim were true.

What I suspect is that you are using 8.1's pg_dump, and you have tripped
over one of the corner cases that made us redesign dumping of serial
sequences for 8.2. Do you get better results if you dump the problem
database with 8.2 or 8.3 pg_dump?