Re: Style of file error messages

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Style of file error messages
Date: 2007-05-31 00:22:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>
>> A seasoned developer might only need the file name to guess what kind of
>> file it is, but other people could probably use the help.
>
> I think Peter's argument is that what kind of file it is really doesn't help a
> regular user. Nonetheless I agree strongly. Even if it doesn't actually make
> any practical difference it's one less thing to wonder about and one more
> anchor for a user to hold onto when trying to understand what's going on.
>
> I know I feel better knowing what part is actually broken on my car than just
> having a dummy light come on even if I'm going to go to the same garage either
> way.

In general I agree with your assessment but... In PostgreSQL everything
is structured so formally in terms of the filesystem that the verbosity
seems overkill. I mean think about it:

pg_clog/0FEa
pg_xlog/9283521535
base/124765/23569.1

It isn't really that opaque. Besides, *anybody* who gets the errors we
are talking about is going to post that they can't open the specific
file right?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/