Re: Online enabling of checksums

From: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Online enabling of checksums
Date: 2018-07-25 10:42:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello
Thank you for update! I did only quick test now: patch applied and build clean. But i have reproducible error during check-world:

> t/001_standby_checksum.pl .. 6/10
> # Failed test 'ensure checksums are enabled on standby'
> # at t/001_standby_checksum.pl line 84.
> # got: 'inprogress'
> # expected: 'on'

In stanby log i found error:

Checksumhelper obviously writes lot of wal. Test pass if i change restart order to slave first:
> $node_standby_1->restart();
> $node_master->restart();
Or we need replication slot setup.

Also we have log record after start:
> data checksums in pending state, starting background worker to enable
even in recovery state with actual start background worker only at recovery end (or promote). I think better using DEBUG ereport in postmaster and LOG in checksumhelper.

regards, Sergei