Re: How export from 8.2.4 down to 8.1.8

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How export from 8.2.4 down to 8.1.8
Date: 2007-05-20 19:49:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tom Lane schrieb:
> In general the only answer to this type of situation is hand editing of
> the dump file to deal with any syntax additions.
cute
> For this particular
> combination of versions, however, some experimentation suggests that you
> can get away with using 8.1's pg_dump to extract data from the 8.2
> server (you'll have to give it the -i option).
I'll try that. Thanks. :)

> But having said that ... I'm pretty sure your provider could run 8.2
> if he wanted to. Doesn't Debian offer backports?

Yes they have.
But 8.1.8 is the most recent _stable_ version of PG that Debian distributes.
Like I mentioned, the particular provider runs Debian (3.1) Sarge from
2005 which is classified as "oldstable" even in the dusty world of
Debian. It's native PG version is 7.4 or 7.5.
So the 8.1.8 is the backport from the most modern "stable" Debian 4.0
that came out just recently.
PG 8.2.x is far away in the "testing" department of Debian.

regards
Andreas