Re: [17] CREATE SUBSCRIPTION ... SERVER

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2023-08-30 16:09:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This seems like it requires a whole lot of new mechanism (parser
> and catalog infrastructure) that could be done far more easily
> in other ways.  In particular, how about inventing a built-in
> dummy FDW to serve the purpose?

That was my initial approach, but it was getting a bit messy.

FDWs don't have a schema, so we can't put it in pg_catalog, and names
beginning with "pg_" aren't restricted now. Should I retroactively
restrict FDW names that begin with "pg_"? Or just use special cases in
pg_dump and elsewhere? Also I didn't see a great place to document it.

Admittedly, I didn't complete the dummy-FDW approach, so perhaps it
works out better overall. I can give it a try.

Regards,
Jeff Davis