Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date: 2007-05-17 22:05:45
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> There is something to be said though with the security of not allowing
> the daemon to alter pg_hba.conf.

You make it so only a superuser can insert into the table (it would be a
pg_ table). Further only a super user could call the pg_reload function
that we already allow.

What I think would work is a two step
> auth process that uses a pg_hba table then falls back to pg_hba.conf if
> there is no match. This keeps the complete security of preventing
> compromised database from altering the text file.
>
> Thoughts?

Well consider this :). If they can alter the pg_hba.conf file, it
doesn't matter what happens next (or before for that matter).

Joshua D. Drake