Re: 'Stealing' SQL files association considered harmful

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Milen A(dot) Radev" <milen(at)radev(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: 'Stealing' SQL files association considered harmful
Date: 2007-05-16 10:26:28
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Milen A. Radev wrote:
> Testing pgAdmin III 1.7.0 (6292:6293) on Windows XP. After I installed
> it the SQL files (.sql) were associated with it. They used to be
> associated with my default editor. When I tried to delete the new
> association I could not find the extension in the "File Types" list
> (Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options). So I had to open the
> registry and delete the association from there.
>

> So if that feature will be in 1.8 I would like to request an option in
> the installer for it.

I've spent a couple of hours researching this and I can't see how this
can be achieved in wix without manually re-authoring all the dialogues
and adding a custom action (which would be a *lot* of work).

The way we're adding the association is exactly per Wix/MS's spec.
Trying to move it into a seperate feature so it can be disabled causes
the database to fail it's ICE69 validation check because it needs to be
in the same feature as it's target.

Ideas anyone? Magnus?

Regards, Dave.