Testing v1.7: Options->Display

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Testing v1.7: Options->Display
Date: 2007-05-12 02:19:16
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi developers! Hi Dave!

Testing pgAdmin III 1.7.0, rev 6292:6293, client Win XP, host: Debian
Sarge, PG 8.1.8.

About the new tab in the options: "Display":
I was missing some essential nodes in the object browser. Took me a
while to find the new options to activate / deactivate nodes in the
object browser. Neat. I likes it. :)
As a couple of nodes that used to be there are not any more per default,
this might be worth a release note to prepare long time users where to
find their objects.

The bad news: I had another crash when refreshing after I had switched
on the "types" node. Maybe this one shares a common root with the
crashes yesterday after switching the system objects on. This time I
could not reproduce it at all. Similar situation though.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to move the option "View -> System Objects"
from the menu to the new "Display" tab? You might mark it specially as
it does more then the rest, but basically it fits there, doesn't it? It
has become less important since we have the "Catalogs" node now.
Also I wonder why you force to close all connections when switching
"System Objects", while with the rest of the display options you just
tell the user to refresh. I prefer the later. Is that feasable with the
former, too?

Cheers
Erwin