Re: yum update now gives me UNICODE errors

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: yum update now gives me UNICODE errors
Date: 2006-08-24 14:41:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE": 0xa3

> The problem is the (pound sterling) sign, but I never had any problems prior
> to the update.

Postgres didn't use to be quite as picky about the encoding as it is
now. What you are sending it is not UTF-8, and you can no longer
get away with pretending that it is. It looks like you're probably
using Latin1 (ISO 8859-1) or something related. Assuming that that's
what's really in your database, what I'd do is
- dump the database
- edit the SET client_encoding command at the head of the dump
file to say the correct encoding
- initdb in the correct locale (one using your encoding,
not utf8)
- reload data