Re: Event Spam..???

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Event Spam..???
Date: 2007-05-11 19:22:11
Lists: pgsql-www

>> limiting listed courses to states where companies are registered as
>> corporations... Such information is freely available, and it could be
>> required that companies provide a link to their articles of
>> incorporation in the states where they provide training - easy to check
>> without undue work on those that filter events...
>
> Limiting the number of listings is not in our interests - we want to

It is, if the listings are not legitimate.

> show how much PostgreSQL is being used. Perhaps more importantly, how
> *widely*. We'd want to list courses running in every state, even if they
> were all the same company.
>
> Charging would almost certainly cause us problems given our financial
> status. I suspect we could 'solicit donations', but that would obviously
> not have the desired effect.

No it wouldn't because the larger the donation the higher up the page
the person would expect to be.

> Limiting to the states in which companies are registered is a nonsense
> as well - what about a company in Japan? How do we check them? Or what
> about EnterpriseDB UK Ltd for example who cover the whole EMEA region -
> would they (== we in case you didn't realise I work for them) be
> restricted to listing courses in England because that's where we're
> registered?

Perhaps a requirement that a link to the actual registration page for
the class? Listing the details of where the class is etc...

>> If others (ourselves included) are forced to take the same action to be
>> competitive then it results in a reduction in the usefulness of the
>> tool. One could argue that removing it entirely to prevent abuse would
>> be less disruptive than having PG related companies flounder due to the
>> actions of a few "bad citizens".

Agreed.

> Let's remember that there are no proven 'bad citizens'. Unless that
> should change, for you to 'take the same action' would mean scheduling
> more legitimate courses - which I'd welcome :-)

Agreed.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/