Event Spam..???

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Event Spam..???
Date: 2007-05-11 15:47:36
Lists: pgsql-www

Hello,

I just noticed the following events posted:

Unknown <http://www.postgresql.org/about/event.497>
Date: *2007-09-22 -- 2008-12-04* Location: *Unknown, Unknown, Dominican
Republic*
Posted by *britneycoros(at)spears(dot)com*
a camp band <http://jabiki.hotbox.ru> aagps <http://pebiju.hotbox.ru> a
slut wife <http://pezoji.hotbox.ru> a midsummers night dream quotes
<http://lepini.hotbox.ru> a family <http://ketaby.hotbox.ru> more...
<http://www.postgresql.org/about/event.497>

Unknown <http://www.postgresql.org/about/event.498>
Date: *2008-03-17 -- 2009-08-29* Location: *Unknown, Unknown, Montserrat*
Posted by *britneyypvga(at)spears(dot)com*
a security problem occurred <http://myxifa.front.ru> a+ questions free
<http://tesezi.front.ru> aantal inwoners amsterdam
<http://geqysa.front.ru> a7 envelope template <http://nykeli.front.ru> a
job title <http://comege.front.ru> more...
<http://www.postgresql.org/about/event.498>

I'm assuming they aren't there intentionally...

Also, I notice a lot of events in the training database that seem to be
dedicated more to "lead generation" than a reasonable effort to run a
training course. For example, 'Certfirst' lists PostgreSQL courses
throughout the US in a wide range of different cities. It is my belief
that these courses listings are designed not to actually offer a wide
range of courses, but to maintain a "main page" list of courses to
generate leads. Is this an acceptable practice? I'd hate to see a
bunch of vendors adopting this practice to be competitive....

It seems to me that such a practice would not be to the benefit of the
community - since it wouldn't help community members find events that
were actually running - rather it would put them in touch with companies
that could add them to their marketing databases (or they'd get taken
with a "bait and switch" - where they sign up for a class in the
Bahamas, but end up being redirected to a course in Chicago).

Also, how about putting a disclaimer on the training pages indicating
that the listing of training courses doesn't constitute the endorsement
of a company by the PG community - and that customers should do their
own due diligence to ensure they get what they pay for. I think many
customers look at a listing of training and consider it to be an
endorsement by the community..

Thanks

--
Chander Ganesan