Re: query to select a linked list

From: Robert Edwards <bob(at)cs(dot)anu(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: query to select a linked list
Date: 2007-05-09 23:49:32
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Louis-David,

I also have written a forum application using PostgreSQL.

My schema has a "threadid" for each posting, which is actually also the
"messageid" of the first posting in the thread, but that is irrelevant.

I can then just select all messages belonging to that thread. The actual
hierarchy of messages (which posting is in response to which) is dealt
with by a "parentid", identifying the messageid of the post being
responded to. Sorting that out is done by the middleware (PHP in this
case) - the SQL query simply returns all messages in the thread in a
single query. Because our database is somewhat busy, I have opted to
keep the queries to the database simple and let the middleware sort
out the heirarchical structure (which it is quite good at).

I hope this helps.

Bob Edwards.