Re: Managing the community information stream

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Managing the community information stream
Date: 2007-05-09 18:01:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jim,

> I am sympathetic to the issues you and Andrew are describing (I
> understand Bruce's stream analogy, but I think Andrew is right that
> from the user's point of view, it's not usable). But I am not
> convinced that users voting on desired features will get us the
> users' desired features. The features we get are mostly the features
> that have attracted developers. The method by which that attraction
> happens is interesting, but I don't think it's democratic.

Further, our community has always operated by consensus and public
mailing list poll when applicable, and not by "majority rules" vote or
anything similar. The only advantage I can see to allowing "voting" on
TODOs would be to quickly answer the question "does anyone t all care
about this", but I personally am not convinced that offering
Bugzilla-style voting would help that at all. On other projects, my
experience is that people don't use the BZ voting, even projects which
otherwise use BZ extensively.

--Josh Berkus