Re: Character miscount

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Character miscount
Date: 2007-05-08 08:21:03
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> Hi developers! Hi Dave!
>
> Testing pgAdmin III v1.6.3 rev: 6112, client Win XP, host: Debian Sarge,
> PG 8.1.9.
>
> A pretty useful feature in the SQL query dialogue displays data about
> the current position of the cursor.
>
> Ln 168 Col 30 Ch 7596
>
> "Ch" supposably stands for "Characters".

Yes.

> However, it is not the correct character count, but (supposably) the
> byte-length of the string. Multibyte-characters (like German umlauts ö ä
> ü) mess with the count. I stumbled across this while trying hard to fix
> a functions that wouldn't return the right length of a string. Turns
> out, the function was right, pgAdmin was wrong.

Argh - it's wxSTC::GetCurrentPos() returning the wrong value. I imagine
it's related to the previous bug which I logged with the wx guys:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1598444&group_id=9863&atid=109863

> I have reported appearances of this phenomenon in various places (and
> Dave has fixed them) in the past. Maybe you can identify a typical
> function or word to look for in all of the source code to find other
> instances of the beast? (Just a thought.)

The workaround used previously involved wxSTC::SetSelection(), and
basically not using it any more. Unfortunately there is no similar fix
that I can think of for this case. I'll add some info on the issue to
the wx bug and note it in our bugs file. I'm not sure there's much else
I can do I'm afraid :-(

Thanks for the report though.

Regards, Dave.