Re: ODBC Upgrades

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Curtis, Annette M" <Annette_Curtis(at)urmc(dot)rochester(dot)edu>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC Upgrades
Date: 2007-05-07 07:31:56
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Curtis, Annette M wrote:
> That's what I am saying it only shows under local machine and not the
> current user so that's why its not available in the Data Sources
> dialogues.

Shows where under 'local machine'? The ODBC driver manager shows the
registered drivers in a single list so you cannot distinguish between
those registered per user or on the system. The *DSNs* are shown
seperately, but they're a different matter altogether.

> Also, what I discovered is that the name of the driver has changed to
> accommodate ANSI and Unicode by doing this the driver will never update
> but just create a new registration as noted by the local machine and not
> the current user.

No, that's why the change was made in a major version change.

> When I renamed the Unicode driver to the old file name of PSQLODBC from
> 8.0.1 it worked and now registers as an available data source to the
> current user.
>
> However, please note that I would not want to go around to 200 plus
> machines and rename the driver and place it in the registry manually as
> I had to do to get this to work. There needs to be a better solution for
> the upgrade of the ODBC from previous versions based on when a user
> downloaded the original drivers from the Postgres site.

If you're doing that sort of work manually you should really reconsider
your management methods - thats the sort of thing Group Policy is for.
Not that you should need to rename anything anyway.

So, please clarify - you uninstall the 8.0 driver:

- Does it get removed from the list of available drivers in the driver
manager?

- Is it still listed in the registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI ?

You then install the 8.2 drivers:

- Are they listed under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI ?

- Are thy listed in the list shown by the driver manager?

Regards Dave