Re: Boatload of warnings in CVS HEAD :-(

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Boatload of warnings in CVS HEAD :-(
Date: 2007-05-04 12:18:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> We can fix this for gcc by putting __attribute__((noreturn)) on the
>> declaration of pg_re_throw(), but what about other compilers?
>>

> Sun studio also complains about it :(.

I'm sorry it was to late for me, I recheck it again and Sun studio is
happy :-) and does not complaint about it, however there are a lot of
warning messages (not relevant with this issue). Most of them is about
following construct:

switch(..)
{

case x :
return(..);
break;

Is the reason for keeping this in a code? Another kind of construct is:

#define PG_RETURN_NULL() \
do { fcinfo->isnull = true; return (Datum) 0; } while (0)

It looks strange for me. Why it is used?

or

for(;;) { ... break;} see e.g
http://doxygen.postgresql.org/postgres_8c-source.html#l00198

or
why is there while ... break instead if?
http://doxygen.postgresql.org/comment_8c-source.html#l00221

thanks for explanation
Zdenek