Re: infinite blocking statements in 8.2.3

From: Thomas Markus <t(dot)markus(at)proventis(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: infinite blocking statements in 8.2.3
Date: 2007-05-03 13:32:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

the problem was not the long running statement. that statement has
blocked other connections and i was unable to drop that connection. at
the end all connections where blocked (output in ps: UPDATE waiting ..).
the only solution was to restart the server. After my understanding I
can terminate a connection (produces rollback) always however this
special connection could not not be terminated. Normally I could do
this. I will observe whether the behavior again arise.

Alvaro Herrera schrieb:
> Thomas Markus wrote:
>
>> thanks for your awnsers
>>
>> i cant repeat the problem after increasing autovacuum_naptime to 5min. a
>> vacuumdb -f -a runs over night (and finished :) ) and now that blocking
>> statement finished after some seconds. it seems autovacuum = on is not
>> enough.
>>

> Enough for what? You still haven't said what the problem was. I am
> unsure if I should be concerned. It now sounds like ordinary slowness
> caused by table bloat.

Attachment Content-Type Size
t.markus.vcf text/x-vcard 255 bytes