Re: ERROR: could not read block

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: could not read block
Date: 2005-11-15 00:43:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 17:20, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> ERROR: could not read block 649847 of relation 1663/16385/16483:
>> Invalid argument

> When a block is unreadable, this means that the OS is experiencing a
> read error from the hard drive.

I'd believe that explanation if the errno were EIO (I/O error), but
EINVAL isn't really a very sane error number to return for a hardware
failure. It'd be useful to find out what Windows error code is actually
being returned by the operating system. I seem to recall that we've
noted some poorly chosen Windows->errno translations before, so maybe
this is another one ... but all we can really say at the moment is
"that shouldn't be happening".