Re: su not working with psql

From: The PandaWare Company <lists(at)pandaware(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: su not working with psql
Date: 2009-08-18 22:35:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Aug 18, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> The PandaWare Company <lists(at)pandaware(dot)com> writes:
>>> Using the "locate" command in Terminal, the only one I see is in
>>> david's home directory.
>
> Are you sure "locate" would search postgres' home directory?
> The man page suggests it will only find publicly readable files,
> which .pgpass wouldn't be even if ~postgres is.

I was su'ed in as postgres at the time (when it showed me the file in
david's home directory).

But this problem is now solved!

I restarted my Mac, launched Terminal, su'ed to postgres and
successfully got into the database.

Now I guess I have to wonder what was causing the problem before the
relaunch.

Thanks for all the help to try to figure this out. As I said
originally, I'm new to PostgreSQL. I learned a few things in this
exchange.