Re: Windows support - PostgreSQL 8.0 and 8.1

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Windows support - PostgreSQL 8.0 and 8.1
Date: 2007-04-27 11:53:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

> * The stats collector bug which prevented stats being collected
> reliably, thus causing all the expected knock on effects (including
> near-total failure of autovacuum). The 8.2 fix for this was dependent
> on the redesign of the collector to remove the separate stats buffering
> process.
>
> * Semaphore issues, fixed by the native implementation in 8.2.

I think these two justify declaring the Windows port at EOL prior to
8.2. The others probably not so much. (Who cares if pg_regress is not a
C program? Who besides developers uses it?)

I hope this will be a one-off exercise, though. In general we should
declare releases to be at EOL, not ports.

cheers

andrew