Re: Feature request - have postgresql log warning when new sub-release comes out.

From: Jon Sime <jsime(at)mediamatters(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature request - have postgresql log warning when new sub-release comes out.
Date: 2007-04-26 18:12:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
> On Thursday 26. April 2007 17:10, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> Actually, I've a feeling that it would be trivial to do with just
>>> about any existing packaging system ...
>> Yes pretty much every version of Linux, and FreeBSD, heck even Solaris
>> if you are willing to run 8.1.
>
> Gentoo is still on version 8.1.8, though, and even that is soft-masked
> (stable is at 8.0.12). Seems like a problem with getting 8.2.x to build
> on this platform:
>
> <http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-534835-highlight-postgresql.html>

I run 8.2.x on a Gentoo/x86_64 development box (just did the upgrade to
8.2.4 yesterday) using the postgresql-experimental overlay (via layman)
and have run into no problems. Everything has compiled,
installed/upgraded and been run with no hiccups along the way, nor any
hacky workarounds.

The 8.2 series isn't in the main portage tree yet because, as I
understand it (and I could certainly be mistaken), the contributors
maintaining the ebuilds are reworking the slotting setup as well as
cleaning up the distinctions between server/library/client-only installs.

Granted, I'm not advising a mission-critical server that happens to be
running Gentoo use a portage overlay explicitly marked "experimental"
for its RDBMS package management -- just pointing out that there is a
pretty straight-forward way to get the 8.2 series through portage if
you're willing to use an overlay for it.

-Jon

--
Senior Systems Developer
Media Matters for America