Feature request - have postgresql log warning when new sub-release comes out.

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Carlos Moreno <moreno_pg(at)mochima(dot)com>
Subject: Feature request - have postgresql log warning when new sub-release comes out.
Date: 2007-04-25 22:52:17
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Carlos Moreno wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, if you can't update major versions that's understandable; that's
>> why we're still maintaining the old branches. But there is no excuse
>> for not running a reasonably recent sub-release within your branch.
>
> Slammer..bug in Microsucks SQL Server....fix...had been available

Feature request.

How about if PostgreSQL periodically check for updates on the
internet and log WARNINGs as soon as it sees it's not running
the newest minor version for a branch. Ideally, it could
be set so the time-of-day's configurable to avoid setting off
pagers in the middle of the night.

I might not lurk on the mailinglists enough to notice every
dot release; but I sure would notice if pagers went off with
warnings in the log files from production servers.

Is that a possible TODO?

(The thread started on the performance mailing lists but
I moved it to general since it drifted off topic).