Re: psqlODBC 08.02.0300 doesn't compile

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: psqlODBC 08.02.0300 doesn't compile
Date: 2007-04-25 18:04:12
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Tom Lane wrote:
> Well, this is exactly the problem: the psqlodbc distribution is missing
> files needed to build from source, ie, the reference to $PGSRC/config
> in the directions. Since $PGSRC/config is also not installed by
> Postgres packages, this leaves RPM packagers unable to build psqlodbc
> according to the rules.

I don't know about the RPM packaging rules, but you can build from
source just fine as long as you don't try to regenerate any of the
autoconf/automake stuff. The lack of complaints since it started being
packaged this way indicate it's not been an issue for the users.

> The whole thing seems like bad practice anyway,
> since it's unclear which version of the Postgres sources needs to be
> used to build any particular psqlodbc release.

I've always used whatever is current without any problems, though the
docs say to use 7.3 (which, iirc, was about to be released when this was
all written). I'm not experienced enough with this stuff to comment on
whether it's good or bad practice though; I'll have to leave you and
Peter to fight that one out. It can be a pita sometimes though, and it
would be nice to have something more self contained.

Regards, Dave.