Re: TPC-H Scaling Factors X PostgreSQL Cluster Command

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TPC-H Scaling Factors X PostgreSQL Cluster Command
Date: 2007-04-24 08:52:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

Greg Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2007, Nelson Kotowski wrote:
>
>> I identified that the cluster command over the lineitem table (cluster
>> idx_lineitem on lineitem) is the responsible. I got to this conclusion
>> because when i run it in the 1GB and 2GB database i am able to
>> complete this script in 10 and 30 minutes each. But when i run this
>> command over the 5GB database, it simply seems as it won't end.
>
> Have you looked in the database log files for messages? Unless you
> changed some other parameters from the defaults that you didn't mention,
> I'd expect you've got a constant series of "checkpoint occuring too
> frequently" errors in there, which would be a huge slowdown on your
> index rebuild. Slowdowns from checkpoints would get worse with an
> increase of shared_buffers, as you report.

Index builds don't write WAL, unless archive_command has been set. A
higher shared_buffers setting can hurt index build performance, but for
a different reason: the memory spent on shared_buffers can't be used for
sorting and caching the sort tapes.

> The default setting for checkpoint_segments of 3 is extremely low for
> even a 1GB database. Try increasing that to 30, restart the server, and
> rebuild the index to see how much the 1GB case speeds up. If it's
> significantly faster (it should be), try the 5GB one again.

A good advice, but it's unlikely to make a difference at load time.

BTW: With CVS HEAD, if you create the table in the same transaction (or
TRUNCATE) as you load the data, the COPY will skip writing WAL which can
give a nice speedup.

--
Heikki Linnakangas