Re: Clustered index?

From: Stephen Cook <sclists(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clustered index?
Date: 2007-04-21 09:54:23
Lists: pgsql-novice

A clustered index is an index whose leaf nodes (in the b-tree) contain
the data pages, and they are physically sorted on this index.

CLUSTER looks similar, except with PostgreSQL it is not kept sorted,
whereas SQL Server guarantees that the data stays sorted on this index
(by definition). So with one you pay a bit for any insert that does not
belong at the end, while with the other you have to periodically pay all
at once (re-cluster) for the same conditions.

Thanks for the link, somehow I missed that when I was reading through
the documentation. It is a bit weird getting my head around this after
dealing with only one vender for several years.